[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:08:48AM -0500, Aleksander Demko wrote:
> Question: is there an easy way to mirror an HTTP yum repository? I can't
> seem to figure out the proper wget options. Or could this be a yum-arch
> task?

The answer to this question and many others is.... rsync :)

A yum repository is a really simple beast.  You can just set one up
and then copy it elsewhere.  wget should work just fine because all of
the relevant files are (need to be, in fact) web accessible.  However,
most people's repos don't change much and so you're wasting a lot of
time/bandwidth copying everything.  rsync is your friend :)

> Idea: Should yum also use a /etc/yum.d/*.conf directory like structure
> in addition to its current yum.conf file? Benefits:
>  - RH seems to be doing this to a lot in their config files
>  - applications/packagers may simply provide rpms representing their
> repositories. eg: yum-yum, yum-freshrpms, yum-someapplication
>  - this way, you could have repositories of repositories/mirror sites

This has been bounced around and is almost guaranteed to happen.  I
know a number of people (most importantly, seth) are convinced it's a
good thing.

> Lesser idea: should gpgcheck=1 not be the default for base/updates, with
> a nice error message if they're missing the key? Seems a little more
> secure.

This has been discussed on the list before, but I don't remember the
conclusion.

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx