Yum 2.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.3 (was: Re: [Yum] Gzip timestamp nullification in 1.0 branch?)

Hi!  Resssurecting on oldish thread...

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess you can forget or at least lower the priority of my request to have
> gzip timestamp nullification in the 1.0 branch. I followed jbj's advice and
> simply got 2.0 working by upgrading to rpm 4.1.1, installing librpm404 and
> replacing "/usr/bin/python" by "/usr/bin/python2" inside yum's files :-)
>
> For those interested in doing the same, all is here :
> http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/testing/rpm-4.1.1-1.7x/

So, I discovered a out-of-patched redhat 7.2 box sitting in a corner of
the machine room yesterday and decdied to see if I could get yum-2.0 on
it.  Installing the Matthias' rpm-4.1.1 and rpmlib404 and yum for 7.3
along with the python2 packages from RedHat-7.3 was a decidedly
uneventful event and I was able to manipulate updates and packages in all
the yum-2.0 goodness I wanted.  I really was expecting to break this box,
but it actually was easy.

So, just a data point to say that it's possible to do yum-2.0 on 7.2 as
well, I'm going to see what 7.1 does next week.  One note is that the
group* commands probably won't work on 7.x because there doesn't seem to
be a comps.xml for the 7.x series.  Not sure how to generate one from the
plaintext comps file... need to poke at 8/9 to see what tools are
availible and see if they're portable backwards...

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@xxxxxxx>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free