[Yum] state of the yum

> Hello Seth and others.
> I and some of my coworkers work on our own implementation of
> rpm updaters/installer tools in python. I very happy with yum,
> but we need to rewrite it cause license violation (out customer
> don't want to use GPL stuff in this project).

Really? What license do they want?

>  Because of it i have
> idea to make document with name 'RPM repository format' witch describe
> all this folders like 'headers' and files like header.info. So it's may
> be sort of standart for 'yum and yum-compatible rpm tools'.

There is more to talk about here:
my first thoughts are to do something like xml including some other
choice and often-accessed data as well as what is in the header.info
file now.

> Now i need to ask - did you have any plans to change format of this
> folders/files? I have some problems with current state of this file -
> for example i think it's a good idea to add field 'size of file' to
> header.info (or to separate meta.info file for example).

Why do you want size?
Could you tell me what you're trying to achieve and then maybe it would
be easier to see what has the most merit.

Thanks
-sv