[Yum] First impressions and a couple of suggestions

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 19:27, Ville Skytt=E4 wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I just tried out yum for the first, nice work!
>=20
> However, I already found a couple of things that could IMO be
> improved/fixed:
>=20
> 1) I built yum 0.9.4 from the RH8 source RPM, there doesn't seem to be
>    a binary RH8 RPM available.  Is this on purpose?
>=20

sorta - I don't have an rhl8 machine to build that on :-D

I only have a 7.3 and a phoebe machine right now.

> 2) The RH8 source RPM has RH 7.3 defaults in /etc/yum.conf !

this is my fault - I should have the yum.spec include a separate 8.0
yum.conf thanks for the note on this.

> 3) IMHO it would probably be better not to enable yum on any runlevels,
>    but just install it with chkconfig.  "chkconfig: - 50 01" should do
>    the trick in /etc/init.d/yum.  Especially considering item 2)
>    above...

item 2 is a bug - easily fixed - but I don't think removing the auto-on
is that big of a deal.

> 4) HTTP Keep-Alive would be very welcome.  That'd speed up downloading
>    the .hdr files a lot, especially on first run.  Too bad I'm not
>    that familiar with Python, otherwise I'd try to implement that
>    myself.

http keep-alive for http-based grabs would be reasonable. In all honesty
the url grab stuff needs to updated and split out into separate routines
some more. I'll have to see if the urllib stuff in python 2.2 supports
it already. That'd be convenient.

-sv