[Yum] Error updating RH8

On 15 Jan 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > You don't mention yum version, but in the latest,
> > clientStuff.py at line 173 looks to be uncompressing the
> > header payload of something local, and has an uncaught
> > exception, which triggered the traceback -- [dumping a stack
> > trace is a 'pythonism' default, when there is an uncaught
> > exception, similar to leaging a 'core' file]
>
> he was running 0.9.3 - in the fine print.
> gzip was returning a crc error from a header he downloaded - b/c the
> packages are handled by gzip - only the headers.

heh -- As the author of the code, you know the codepaths
already -- I was desk tracing, and scoped it out <grin>.

RFE: Can the exception be caught, and a more helpful error
message to identify the corrupt file (or maybe, emit a
warning, and set a flag to rm and repull the offending file a
time or two [it might be corrupt in the remote archive, so a
limit on repull attempts, and a notation of the problem file
make sense here])?

<how about _that_ awkward compound sentence?>

-- Russ Herrold