[Yum] Re: Yum error question

On 25 Feb 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> I think I just realized what's going on, maybe
>
> the custom-tag kernel is i686, isn't it?
>
> so yum is doing the following:
>
> it's seeing the i686 kernel and the other athlon kernels, it's saying,
> what's the best you got, name+arch.
>
> then it's comparing the available pkg of 2.4.18-24.7.x to the -17.7x
> athlon kernel and saying - look at that the new kernel is newer,
> ignoring the i686 custom tag.

Looks like you might be right. I did not realize that installing a
different arch would mess with yum. Sorry.

[root@octopus root]# rpm -q --qf "%{name} %{version} %{release} %{arch}\n" kernel
kernel 2.4.18 24.7.x.1.nano.tjc i386
kernel 2.4.7 10 athlon
kernel 2.4.18 17.7.x athlon
kernel 2.4.9 21 athlon

We built an i386 kernel for this machine bc we are trying to get the
nanosecond patch working to allow us to connect the machine to a GPS clock.
This will allow us to make a stratum 1 time server. The Red Hat athlon kernel
sets HZ to 512  and the nano patch needs it to be 100. I guess we could
have set HZ back to the orig value and compiled the athlon kernel but
since the machine does not do much we did not think the performance hit
would be a problem.

So does this mean that the answer here is to handle the kernel upgrades
by hand or do you still consider this a bug?

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....