[Yum] Not quite an idea.

> Now that only does software and not configuration, but we have a tool
> for that too but that's another story.
>
> What I'm wondering is if anyone else would find a model like this
> useful? From our experience I'd say that our system is lacking in some
> areas - we at the moment have to specify _all_ the rpms needed. Yum's
> rpm-group capabilities and automatic demendency resolution though have
> lead some of our team to start thinking about pooling out efforts into a
> more generalized rpm updating tool.
>
> I guess this is just a feeler to see if the yum community would be
> interested in looking at this a bit more?

This is already partially implemented and/or in progress with two ideas
in yum.

1. groupinstalls - the idea of being able to specify groups of arbitrary
packages and install them.

2. the yum-script work I've been trying to get more time to finish - in
this case it is just an xml file of actions to take.
ex:
<yum>
  <transaction>
    <config>/path/to/yum.conf</config>
    <package action='update'>foo</package>
    <package action='install'>gcc*</package>
    <group action='update'>Base</group>
    <group action='install'>Workstation Common</group>
  </transaction>
</yum>

That sound about right?

The groupinstall stuff exists now in 2.0
the yum-script stuff is still being worked on as I have time.

-sv