[Yum] First experiences with Yum

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:41:44AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > -  I want to force a priority sequence for my Yum servers, so that
> >    packages of a higher prio server do *always* take precedence over
> >    packages of a lower prio server, regardless the version numbers.
>
> >    I assumed "pkgpolicy=last" would do this, but it seems to work only
> >    partly: when a new package is installed, it indeed takes the one
> >    from the higher prio server, regardless how the version compare.
> >    But if a package is already installed, it doesn't upgrade (in my
> >    case this means downgrade) to the version of the higher prio server.
> >
> >    I can't really understand this policy, as in this way client
> >    systems using the same Yum servers end up with different package
> >    sets (versions), dependent on the time a package was installed.
> >    This is an unwanted behaviour, IMHO, as systems like Yum should
> >    ensure a uniform set of client systems (except for what packages
> >    are installed, but this can be tweaked with special packages).
>
> downgrading is not as easy as it appears and dealing with downgrades in
> operation will take some effort.

I think the solution can be made backwards compatible as follows:
make a variable allow_downgrade or so (global or per repository),
which defaults to "no".  If set to "yes" (for all repositories),
you'll have a strict preference of repositories.

Anyway, for me it is currently a show-stopper for starting to use Yum,
as I need to be able to force packages overruling others.

> You should look HARD at the system in question about the segfaults. I
> haven't gotten ANY segfaults from yum that weren't related to hardware
> going funky.

Will do some more tests and come back on this.

> So it's been on the 'thinking about' burner for a bit so I don't end up
> painting myself into a corner with some ridiculous interface to it.

Good point.

> > -  When I rename a server id in /etc/yum.conf, the old cache info
> >    (with the old server id) never seems to be removed, not even
> >    with "yum clean all".
>
> right -b/c at that point yum knows nothing about it. It's the only nice
> way to deal with multiple config files - so they don't tread on each
> other's cache.

OK, but it still would be handy to have something (except "rm") to get
rid of old files if you really want that.

> I'd like to have a set of external python scripts that handle kernel
> updates and kernel modules and all sorts of stuff like that - these
> scripts would come in the yum rpm by default but you could easily add
> more in a sane way.

Right.

> As it is - I want yum's default behavior to stay relatively the same. I
> like that it handles kernels correctly out of the box, I like that I
> don't have to tell people to specify some bizarre incantation to get
> kernels to install, let alone update grub.conf correctly.

Exactly.

> so make your list - and put them in some RFE's in bugzilla and I'll get
> through them as I can or as it makes sense.
>
> if someone wants to make patches against cvs for such things let me know
> - I'll be interested to see what can happen in the coming months to free
> up a lot of the older crufty code that eats up space in yum.

OK, will think about it.

Thanks,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>