[Yum] deploying and maintaining linux networks howto

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, R P Herrold wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2003, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 18:27, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
>
> > > BTW, is there anyplace one can find a cfengine RPM?
> >
> > is cfengine still being maintained?
> >
> > -sv
>
> copy and SRPM at:
> ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/cfengine/ -- but the
> prime site I was aware of has gone dark.

www.cfengine.org is still live, and there is even a 2003 IEEE paper
linked on the site, and the site is still mirrored on
infrastructure.org.  So I think it still exists and has humans working
on it.

I just think that it is of much less use on a homogeneous, rpm-derived
LAN than it was on the heterogeneous, tarball derived LANS on which it
was originally developed.  This is very likely why rpm's are nearly
nonexistent -- rpm's themselves largely preclude any need for cfengine.
We used cfengine here back when we had Suns, SGI's, Linux boxes
(slackware based!), and a few oddballs, and it was wonderful because you
could sort-of automate doing things on servers, clients and so on by
architecture.

Well, now we're just one "architecture", and kickstart, yum, and NIS
pretty much totally eliminate what cfengine used to do for you and make
it "yet another scripting language" (yasl) to learn.  Even though to be
fair it isn't really a scripting language, rather a configuration
language.  I do think it would be "useful" to have in the toolbox even
now, but obviously it isn't essential to achieving highly scalable
LAN designs.  It >>might<< be useful as one way to distribute e.g.
passwd and other core db's in a cluster design that couldn't/shouldn't
use NIS, but even then...

As it is with perl and many other tools, "there's more than one way to
do it".

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx