[Yum] success report -- YDL 3.0

Seth asked that I document my success with yum, as will ship
with Yellow Dog Linux 3.0, in accessing subscription content,
which requires a userid and password for FTP access.

First, my experimentation:

I set a .netrc file up, chmod 700. but it was not consulted by
the python code in YUM.

So I went to embeded userid and passwd's in the URI

[herrold@dhcp-91 herrold]$ ncftp -u herrold \
	 ftp://herrold:PASSWORD@xxxxxxxxxxx
NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@xxxxxxxxx).
Connecting to ftp.ydl.net(66.7.161.9)...
ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1 Server (yellowdoglinux.net) [callisto]
Logging in...
User herrold logged in.
Logged in to ftp.ydl.net.
Current remote directory is /.
ncftp / > ls
public_html/   yellowdog/
ncftp / > cd yellowdog/
ncftp /yellowdog/ > cd yum/
ncftp /yellowdog/yum > cd 3.0/
ncftp /yellowdog/yum/3.0 > ls
base/    update/
ncftp /yellowdog/yum/3.0 > cd base/
ncftp /yellowdog/yum/3.0/base > ls
headers/     RPMS.base@   SRPMS.base@
ncftp /yellowdog/yum/3.0/base > pwd
  ftp://herrold:PASSWORD@xxxxxxxxxxx/yellowdog/yum/3.0/base/
ncftp /yellowdog/yum/3.0/base >

---------------------------------

so, editting /etc/yum.conf

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

# [base]
# name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
# baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
baseurl=http://herrold:PASSWORD@xxxxxxxxxxx/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/base/

# [updates]
# name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
# baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
baseurl=ftp://herrold:PASSWORD@xxxxxxxxxxx/yellowdog/yum/3.0/update/

because passwords are exposed -- if on a shared host,
	chmod 700 /etc/yum.conf

I have commented out the as shipped YDL setup (which will open
later this month) and added the needed parts for the private
FTP server.   My password is not PASSWORD however ...

The YDL folks are worthy of subscription support however -- it
is amazing on my eMac ... http://www.ydl.net/enhanced.phtml

-- Russ Herrold