[Yum] RE: problems using yum to upgrade from 8.0 to 9

> > > Upgraded one system, no probs.  rpm didn't like it on the
> > other system.
> > > Now doing an "rpm --rebuilddb".  Argh.
>
> Turns out not even a --rebuilddb would fix the problem.  Couldn't see any other rpm process running.  Ended up rebooting, which cleared the problem.

odd odd.

> >From Fedora's site, correct?  Is this a recommendation for all versions of RHL from 7.2 to 9?

oh no no no.

rhl 7.1-7.3 have rpm 4.0.4 and should stay there imo.
8.0 would need rpm 4.1.1 and 9 rpm 4.2-1

> 1) Will this likely cause future dependency problems as rpm evolves on
> the RH side of things?  In other words, if I were to implement your
> recommendation, is there any chance that 6-12 months from now, I'll be
> wondering how I managed to paint myself into a corner?  (Feel free to
> add management-friendly buzzwords.  ;)

not obvious to me. You'll need to talk to people at red hat. I'd doubt
it.

> 2) Assuming that rpm-4.2-1 is The Way To Go, then ideally I would set
> it up on our apt/yum repository locally.  (I suspect that the Better
> Way would be to tweak yum.conf and sources.list to include fedora.us,
> but that doesn't really help us optimize WAN traffic as the number of
> machines which use apt/yum grows.  Hence the local repository.)  Given
> that, I imagine I should create an RPMS.misc directory for these
> one-offs.  Or?  Is there a better approach?

fedora allows you to mirror all of their content which would reduce your
traffic b/c you'd only be transferring the changed bits once :)

go talk to warren togami about it. He's the guy leading things over
there.

> 3) I take it that by merely adding the path/repository to yum.conf
> (and to sources.list, for the apt folks), that yum (apt-get) will be
> able to determine that the fedora.us version of rpm is 'preferred',
> for lack of a better term...?  (I think I'm showing my ignorance of
> the capabilities of rpm here.)

it's all up the version of the rpm - or if you pkgpolicy=last - what
order your repositories are in your yum.conf

> 4) I suspect more questions are to follow.  If you feel that I'm a
> little weak in my understanding of rpm, could you direct me to an
> appropriate primer?  The RPM approach has shown me that it has
> strengths over, say, Solaris' package manager.  Package management in
> general is preferable to just dropping a tarball into place today,
> only to resist change in the future because, "... we don't know what
> the upgrade will break...."  ;)

You're definitely on the right track.

go to rpm.org and get some ideas.

Ask on this list - the rpm.org maintainer russ herrold is on here and I
think he is around to answer questions about things from time to time.

we've been using rpm for distro maintenance at duke for a good while
now. and I know a lot of folks on this list are doing a lot of good
things with rpm on various platforms and distros.

-sv