[Yum] RPM DB corruption after using Yum

> The only bug I see in bugzilla is #88720.
>
> This is the second time I've seen the error.  The first time it was also
> after a yum update of some kind, and I had to do an upgrade install with
> 9 to get it back to operational status.  That's not really an option
> now.  I have a list of all the packages that were lost from the
> database.  Is there a way to get the database regenerated?

ok here is what appears to have happened.

the rpm had the locks on it's db left held

yum was run with the "private" macro to keep it from hanging in the
event the rpm locks were still held.

at this point the updates to the rpmdb were waiting around for the locks
to go away (as far as I understand)

so you could cd /var/lib/rpm
rm -f __db*

and then you'd probably want to run rpm --rebuilddb and you'd find your
rpmdb just fine.

however, if you ran rpm --rebuilddb BEFORE removing the __db files then
you're gonna lose data in the rpmdb.

as of this moment I've removed the private macro from the yum 2.x branch
in cvs and I'll be pushing out a 1.97 with that and some other fixes
tonight.

joe - you might want to try rm'ing the __db files in /var/lib/rpm

then seeing if all your files come back.
they _may_.

however, if you grab your rpmpkgs file - and do the --justdb thing then
you can repopulate your rpmdb and you should be safe and sound.

sorry about this problem.

it's sorta related to using the private macro - it's sorta related to
the locking in rpm now - but in short it cements the fact that I will
NOT be using the private macro anymore.

-sv