[Yum] Exception thrown when server not found

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 19:25, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 19:52, Michael Stenner wrote:
>
> > > This is when no http connection can be made to the server, or a
> > > network connection isn't available.  I was using the 1.96 RPM.
>
> This reminds me of a situation when one of the servers I have in my
> yum.conf is temporarily not accessble (max nr. of FTP connections or
> other woes).  IIRC yum refused to do any further work when it enountered
> such a server, whereas I would have appreciated if it'd just tell me
> about it and continue with the other repositories because the package I
> wanted to install was in a repo that was working perfectly...
>
> This was some time ago and I haven't checked whether the current yum
> versions handle it "better".  I like the way apt handles this, which is
> essentially what's outlined above.  Of course, some repos could be
> marked "essential" or something in yum.conf, meaning that it's always a
> no go if one of these servers isn't available.

1. I don't like the idea of people listing things that they don't use in
their yum.conf - that's just asking for trouble when someone
unexpectedly releases something

2. priorities for the repositories will take more time and right now my
priority is not for systems w/users who want to have a whole bunch of
repositories and have yum "Score up" or "Score down" for the "best one".
I want yum to work well and consistently for sysadmins who control their
own repos or at least vet the maintainers carefully and want their
systems to be consistently maintained.

So priorities doesn't seem like such a great feature when you're trying
to maintain 300-700 computers and you want them acting similarly.

As a sysadmin I don't like the idea of one of my designated servers
failing or being overloaded and having my update system happily carry
on.

I want to know it failed and I don't want things to change their state
until I know why they failed. I know rpm interdependencies are too
complex to trust that there is "nothing" on that other server that I
might miss.

So that is not to say I won't put it in - but it is to say it's not
something I will be working on right away.
-sv