[Yum] thinking about the future again

Hi everyone,
 so I was sitting around working on some misc little items - nothing
ground shaking and I got to thinking about the future - let's say
6months to a year from now and what code is getting crufty and where yum
could use some work.

Where I'd like to be:
by 6 months:

- yum should be the CLI to the yum "library" - which will just be a set
of functions and classes that do all the hardwork. This will mean gui
devel will be much easier - I'd hope to think that a gui will be
available in 6months - that'd be cool.

- a user/admin should be able to use yum for pretty much every
rpm-related task that they'd have for general use - ie: I'm not going to
duplicate the crazy querying options or --rebuilddb or --force or
--nodeps or anything like that but the general stuff I'd like to see
doable by yum like yum localinstall [list of rpms in your cwd] and have
it resolve the deps and do it, if it can. can anyone think of commands
that yum doesn't have that rpm does have and you think fall into
"General-use"?

- I'd like for yum to be able to read a file of "commands" and compute
the resolution sets for all of them as one big transaction.

so a file like:

install foo
erase bar
update baz
install quux
groupinstall "Workstation Common"

- chroot building

- the YumException code is fully implemented

- yum sanitycheck should be implemented - it should check your rpmdb for
"saneness" - meaning complete dep resolution and no duplicate pkgs, go
through all your hdrs and header.infos and check for corruption and/or
prune out all the old ones.

Longer term:
- header.info replaced with an xml based header.info - this could happen
in parallel for a while

- caching of certain data for speedups
- nevral data storage needs to be rewritten and un-crufted
- package tracking and secondary script execution:
  ie: the script run-stuff-for-samba.sh gets run whenever samba* is
operated on

- repository prioritization/scoring

so some stuff to think about/comment on.

-sv