[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Smith, Eric V. wrote:
>>If updating a package has failed (the latest version is installed),
>>then the transaction should fail.
>
> I guess we're using yum for different purposes.  We'll have to agree to
> disagree.  I was never asking for a change, I just want to understand
> how it works.  I'll work around it or modify it locally to do what I'm
> after.

I am only opposing the "update-or-move-along" behavior of the
"update" command -- I do not think it should do that. The question
of whether yum needs a "verify-latest" command (or somesuch) is a
different matter entirely. My only objection to that is whether it
is prudent to increase the complexity of yum's code for a result
that can be achieved using a one-liner in shell:

for PKG in pkg1 pkg2 pkg3; do yum -y update $PKG; done

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin