[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Smith, Eric V. wrote:
> So I expect the outcome to be:
> c) Success: all three packages are the most recent version
>
> Your argument is like saying the SQL statement:
> update table set value1='foo', value2='bar'
> must fail if value1 is already 'foo'.

No, this is a very poor analogy. SQL "update" command is to write a
value (ANY value) to a field. Yum's "update" command is just that --
"update the following packages." "Updating" a package involves
installing a newer version. Updating a field in a table involves
writing some value to it -- there is no heuristic check for version
or newness involved.

If updating a package has failed (the latest version is installed),
then the transaction should fail.

If we were to follow your SQL analogy, "yum update foo" should
download and install a version of foo whether it is already
installed or not.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev