[Yum] uncaught error - yum-0.9.3 and rpm-4.1-9

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, R P Herrold wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2002, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > install rpm404 (the libs that anaconda uses in 8.0)
> >
> > that will make it work.
>
>  rpm404-python and librpm404 did the trick -- thanks

I spoke too soon -- looks like the LANG variable changes in
RHL 8.0 bit me -- but the initrd is made, and
/etc/grub/grub.conf looks OK -- it may be merely cosmetic.  I
am performing some 'backstopping', since the kernel was
touched, so I can recover if the LAN is unaccessible and will
advise in a moment

Getting samba-client-2.2.7-2.i386.rpm
Getting samba-common-2.2.7-2.i386.rpm
Getting kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0.athlon.rpm
Getting krb5-devel-1.2.5-7.i386.rpm
Getting kernel-doc-2.4.18-18.8.0.i386.rpm
Getting krb5-libs-1.2.5-7.i386.rpm
Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
samba-common 100 % done
samba-client 100 % done
kernel 100 % done
kernel-doc 100 % done
krb5-libs 100 % done
krb5-devel 100 % done
Kernel Updated/Installed, fixing the bootloader
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 24, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "yummain.py", line 240, in main
  File "pkgaction.py", line 312, in kernelupdate
  File "checkbootloader.py", line 45, in whichBootLoader
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
[herrold@oldnews pw]$

[herrold@oldnews pw]$ sudo su
[root@oldnews pw]# set | grep LAN
LANG=en_US
[root@oldnews pw]# exit
[herrold@oldnews pw]$ sudo su -
[root@oldnews root]# set | grep LAN
LANG=en_US
[root@oldnews root]# grep LANG /etc/profile
[root@oldnews root]#

===========================

Five minutes and a reboot into the new kernel, later:

dunno -- all seems to be fine.

[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ sudo su -
[root@oldnews root]# LANG=en_C yum update
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 base
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
No actions to take
[root@oldnews root]# yum update
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 base
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
No actions to take
[root@oldnews root]#