[Yum] I'm back and future stuff

> Yes! Yes! :)
> By the way - i and one my friend make our oun cvs repository with yum code
> and code some stuff like http reget support etc. I want to work like this:
> we make part of code, test it and give to you a patches. If you agree with
> this - get ready to realy _big_ patches :)

I think I will tend to agree with linus, big patches suck. Can you
isolate what they are patching? ie: a reget patch, a tabbing patch, a
doc patch etc etc.

> It is quite reasonable. What about make public CVS?
> I think it's need not only for me :)

public cvs is not entirely secure and it makes me edgy.

> I don't like nor savannah nor sf.net cause it's to bloated. All what we need - just
> cvs repository. All this callaboration tools only make you weak :)

umm. sure. Well I kinda like some features that the sourceforge stuff
offers but I'm not sure. I'll talk with some folks I know who are better
at things like this than I. See what I can sort out that is also secure.

> SV> 5. I'd like to start a listing of publicly accessible yum repositories.
> SV> - just so people can find stuff they have and add them to their
> SV> yum.conf's
> We are first! :)
> [mastersite]
> name=ASPLinux 7.2 Master Site
> baseurl=http://download.asplinux.ru/i386/RPMS.7.2/
> [updates]
> name=ASPLinux 7.2 Updates
> baseurl=http://download.asplinux.ru/i386/updates/7.2/

now I have to figure out a way to list them sanely :)

> SV> 6. list of features that have been requested:
> SV> a. mirror support
> SV> b. specify config file on command line
> 	by URL! Please! yum -c 'http://dulug.duke.edu/yum/config' update yum
> 	what can be better ?? :)

hmm. I think in keeping with some of Icon's ideas we limit the url
config-file locations for the moment. I need to talk to Icon more about
what he has been thinking about, though. In principle I like the idea,
though.

> Yes! :)
> I think what we need to add "weight" for each servers.
> In short words - we don't need to download KDE10.0.2 from ftp.redhat.com if
> we have this package on ftp.myoffice.smthg :)

hmm. judging weight will not be fun. It will also require a shuffling of
how nevral hands back paths. Then again much of this will require that
so....

> also as i say - we make sort of abstraction for downloading.
> It's very usefull cause original urllib url handlers to weak for serious
> work.

well that was sorta why urlgrab exists.

I just used urllib b/c it was 1. easy 2. short and 3. did what I needed
(which was http)

I figure urlgrab could use urlparse and just split out to separate ftp,
http, file, gopher, etc functions for each.

> Congratulations.
> I hope what you have excelent vacation! :)

Actually, I caught a cold and got sick but i wasn't at work, which is
nice and I got to read some more.

-sv