[Yum] once more little bug (or feature :) )

--=-pGvCZTemNzy5jw75s6IF

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 20:51, seth vidal wrote:
> so I think it should work like this:
>=20
> yum update -> solely updates
> yum upgrade -> updates + obsoletes, but (and this will suck for users
> some) - all obsoletes must be confirmed by user input.

Hmm.. I'm not sure that is actually needed. Let's consider current
problem:

red hat 7.2 has:
zebra-0.91a-6
gated-3.6-12

red hat 7.3 has:
zebra-0.92a-3
gated-3.6-14

In both cases zebra obsoletes gated and gated obsoletes zebra.

We have 7.2 installed with zebra. While we're at 7.2, we run "yum
update" and since it's "update", it ignores all obsoletes. Then comes
the time when we want to upgrade to 7.3. This means we go to yum.conf
and change the repository to the 7.3 tree.

We run "yum upgrade"; yum goes out and checks if a newer package of
zebra is available. If it is, yum doesn't check an obsolete on it, but
simply upgrades the existing package. If, however, there is no package
with the same name+arch in the repository, yum would check the obsoletes
and schedule an installation of a package that obsoletes the existing
one. To better illustrate, here's a case analysis with "OldSkool" and
"NewSkool". NewSkool obsoletes OldSkool.

Case 1:=20
  Repository:  OldSkool-1.0, NewSkool-1.0
  Installed:   OldSkool-1.0
  Yum update:  do nothing
  Yup upgrade: do nothing, since OldSkool is still in the repository.

Case 2:
  Repository:  OldSkool-2.0, NewSkool-1.0
  Installed:   OldSkool-1.0
  Yum update:  install OldSkool-2.0
  Yum upgrade: install OldSkool-2.0, since OldSkool is still in the
               repository

Case 3:
  Repository:  NewSkool-1.0
  Installed:   OldSkool-1.0
  Yum update:  do nothing, since we ignore obsoletes during yum update
  Yum upgrade: install NewSkool-1.0, since it obsoletes OldSkool-1.0
               and no newer OldSkool packages are available.

I think that would work just fine without the need to prompt the user.

Regards,
--=20
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
/ )  Duke University Physics Sysadmin