[Yum] yum.conf

On 17 Jun 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> lets see if I can phrase this the best way:
>
> no.

I don't understand this.  Could you repeat it a different way?

;-)

> I will not start doing depedency "intelligence" outside of rpm in yum.
>

> if rpm doesn't give me the information, I'm not going to create and
> entire legacy class by "rethinking" what rpm does. The solution to poor
> packaging is not "write a new concept of what is _really_ newer" its fix
> the packaging/packagers.

Right.  So instead of providing a (possibly kludgy) fix that IS under
your control, you're going to wait for a diverse group of humans
scattered to the winds to alter their behavior?

What century do you expect this to occur in, again?

I also have to disagree with your premise.  As I said, if I (as an
installer) CHOOSE the upgrade option, I'm basically directing the tool
to reinstall the system from a specified rpm base.  It would be
perfectly reasonable to totally ignore old dependency information and do
a clean reinstall of all installed packages (or better, all packages
that overlap or contain installed files).  That would confine dependency
checking to only the new tree, where it belongs.  If the new tree is
screwed up, well, that IS under your control and can at least be fixed
in just one place.

I'll also state unambiguously -- many (most?) of the future users of yum
will not be able to cope with the stream of messages indicating
conflicted dependencies on an upgrade.  If it ain't automagic for them,
it's broke.  They won't care about who screwed up or why it isn't
working, they'll just consider the tool broken and will drop it.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx