[Yum] pkg groups

This is just throwing out ideas.

I see the dilemma about comps.  If someone see's a way around it, then it
would be nice to use comps, but no-one does, then yes, just go with something
new and simple.
Another argument for the simple lists, is that our users would be able to
understand them better (hopefully).  Right now when you try to explain 'hiden'
or levels, most don't care about that.
If we are going with a simple list idea, it would still be nice to have
'groups' within 'groups'.  So that if I wanted to make my own group called
'troy' it wouldn't have to list everything, but could just call the kde group,
and the gnome group, and the devel group.

About the multiple server groups problem, here's a couple ideas.  (just
brainstorming)
You could add a grouppolicy to the conf file.  Though this wouldn't
necessarily take care of all the problems, because someone might want to use
all the groups on serverB, except for this one group on serverA.
You could have the group policy be whatever the pkgpolicy is.  (newest or last)
You could have an option so that if you do a groupinstall or groupupgrade you
could do something like 'yum groupinstall mygroup[serverA]' or 'yum
groupinstall --server serverA mygroup'.  Basically something where the user
could tell yum what server they want, and if they don't specify a server, then
they get whatever is default.

On a related note, it would be nice to have a command that lists the items in
a group, or maybe that would be what grouplist would be.  'yum grouplist'
would list all the groups, while 'yum grouplist mygroup' would list all of the
packages in mygroup.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group