[Yum] Fermi Linux Repository

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 18:01, Angles Puglisi wrote:
> I just wondering, could you point me to a summary about the benefits and
> differences of Yum vs. apt for rpm? Or your own personal experiences if you have
> tried both?

I have nothing against apt-rpm but I think it is a bolt-on solution for
the rpm dependency-resolution/upgrade problems.

 1. apt determines dependencies etc then it runs: rpm -i --nodeps
--noorder [bunch of stuff here]
    a. that's messy
    b. that limits simultaneous erases and installs
    c. am I the only one who shudders at the system call being made for
its MAJOR operation?

 2. Size of codebase in apt (find -name \*.cc | xargs wc -l): 40141
    Size of codebase in yum (find -name \*.py | xargs wc -l): 4681
    It would seem easier to maintain the yum codebase

 3. Yum doesn't build this huge pkg information file (packages.gz) it
has a small pkg list (header.info) but then it passes around the REAL
rpm headers. Its cleaner and easier, less things have the potential to
get lost in the translation  b/c there is, ultimately, no translation.

 4. Yum is using python and therefore can benefit from code theft from
anaconda and up2date - I did indeed steal the lilo updating code
directly from up2date and learned A LOT from anaconda.

5. Yum provides the features of apt w/o all the dpkg-compatibility
baggage.

-sv