[Yum] new boring features

Seth,

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> > So is yum list available the same as yum list new?
>
> yes. it just makes a slight bit more sense grammatically.
>
> > On a different topic.  I was testing yum update last night and was
> > confused about what yum was doing.  We have 2 areas, main with the
> > standard distributions and updates with the errata.  I wanted to upgrade
> > the openssl* rpms and the openssh* rpms from updates.  So a "yum list
> > updates" shows all of these open* rpms and no others.  So I did a "yum
> > update open*".  Well yum decided to do everything from both main and
> > updates so it started to install openmotif-devel, and all the other open*
> > rpms.  I just expected it to the open* from what a yum list updates shows.
> > If I wanted all of them I would have done a "yum install open*".
>
> right - but it emulates how rpm functions ie:
>
> rpm -Uvh open* in a dir will install in mode "update" all packages
> matching that wildcard.
>
> so if I attempt a: yum update pkg_i_dont_have_installed
> it will install the package even though I don't have it installed - the
> behavior then remains consistent with rpm. Just like if I attempt to yum
> install pkg_i_have_installed_but_have_an_older_version yum realizes I've
> already got it installed but that there is a newer version and switches
> to an update for that package.
>
> Having said that I can see how that might be confusing - I'm open to
> other opinions on this, at the moment. My general rule is - if you want
> updates just run yum update - if you want to install stuff you can use
> update or install.

I guess I think it makes the wildcards less usefull because of the fear of
installing too much.  Yes you get to confirm and that is really good.  I
just think that update should be updates only and install should be new
installs.  I actually do not like the way rpm does it either.

> > So why was I doing this wildcard test.  It is because I had some rpms
> > that would not update that showed in "yum list updates".  So I decided to
> > select all of what I needed except the bad rpm.  So this leads to the idea
> > of a "ignore/exclude" list and maybe a "force" option.  I really do not
> > want yum to upgrade the kernel on most of my systems.  This is because
> > they are not my systems and kernel upgrading can cause problems.  So I
> > want the end uses to decide.  So with the current yum I am forced to leave
> > the kernel out of the updates area because if I do not the yum cron job
> > will upgrade it.
>
> so excludes are already supported - just check out the man page - search
> for exclude.

Oh,  You mean the yum.conf man page.  I have to say I have actually not
even looked at it.  Troy makes the config file and I just use it.  I just
looked at it and see the option.  Sorry about that.

> I'm not sure if command-line excludes are a wise decision or not - it
> could make life hard.

No need for command-line excludes as long as I have config file excludes.

> just add:
> excludes=kernel kernel-smp kernel-source
>
> to the [main] section of your yum.conf.
>
> -sv

-Connie Sieh