[Yum] new boring features

Seth,

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi all,
>  Andrew in the math dept here at duke asked me if I could make yum list
> and yum info dtrt w/regard to the installed packages - so there is a new
> daily that can do this:
>
> yum list pkgname - it now looks through the installed pkgs and remote
> ones for something matching pkgname
>
> ditto for yum info pkgname
>
> 'yum list installed' returns a listing of what rpm -qa would normally
> do.
>
> ditto for yum info installed.
>
> fairly straightforward these are just silly little functions.
>
> I modified 'yum list' though so that 'yum list new' is no more.

So is yum list available the same as yum list new?

On a different topic.  I was testing yum update last night and was
confused about what yum was doing.  We have 2 areas, main with the
standard distributions and updates with the errata.  I wanted to upgrade
the openssl* rpms and the openssh* rpms from updates.  So a "yum list
updates" shows all of these open* rpms and no others.  So I did a "yum
update open*".  Well yum decided to do everything from both main and
updates so it started to install openmotif-devel, and all the other open*
rpms.  I just expected it to the open* from what a yum list updates shows.
If I wanted all of them I would have done a "yum install open*".

So why was I doing this wildcard test.  It is because I had some rpms
that would not update that showed in "yum list updates".  So I decided to
select all of what I needed except the bad rpm.  So this leads to the idea
of a "ignore/exclude" list and maybe a "force" option.  I really do not
want yum to upgrade the kernel on most of my systems.  This is because
they are not my systems and kernel upgrading can cause problems.  So I
want the end uses to decide.  So with the current yum I am forced to leave
the kernel out of the updates area because if I do not the yum cron job
will upgrade it.

Thanks

-Connie Sieh

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory