[Yum] Yum features

Seth,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> > Below is the next batch of feature requests.
> >
> > Feature Requests
> >
> >    Have some option so that yum just looks at it's cache instead of going to
> > the server and checking the headers again.
>
> I'd like to do this too. I think that portion of the code is broken up
> in such a way to make possible. I've been busy with beginning of year
> stuff at duke so I've been slacking on yum pretty greatly.
>

> >    Somehow get the local headers smaller, maybe keep them gziped after the
> > download, or put them all in one big gzipped tarball.  They just get rather
> > large when you have alot of them.
>
>  they are gzipped, and they stay that way, they never get opened up.

They do not seem to be gzipped here.  I can do a "strings"  command on
them and they sure look like plain old ascii to me.

A heavily edited version of a "strings" is included here.

[root@snappy headers]# strings xosview-0-1.7.3-4.i386.hdr
xosview
1.7.3
An X Window System utility for monitoring system resources.
The xosview utility displays a set of bar graphs which show the
current system state, including memory usage, CPU usage, system load,
etc.  Xosview runs under the X Window System.
kporky.devel.redhat.com
Red Hat Linux
Red Hat, Inc.
GPL/BSD
Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Applications/System
linux
i386
"BR1R.P
xosview-1.7.3-4.src.rpm
xosview
Jrpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix)
[root@snappy headers]# exit

-connie sieh
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

> How big are yours getting? mine are staying at about 8M for all of rhl
> 7.3 + some internal pkgs.

Also it seems a bit bigger here.  It is for 7.1 and it includes a few
Fermi added rpms but I do not think it should be that different.

[root@snappy 711]# pwd
/var/cache/yum/711
[root@snappy 711]# du -sk
20260   .