GSOC 2017 introduction - zspb

Dear other list subscribers!

My name is Peter, and I have applied to participate in the GSOC 2017 program. I have only applied to Fedora and to one proposal - that peeked my interest: "Adwaita and HighContrast style for QtQuickControls".

Why this proposal in particular? When I started using Linux distributions for the first time, I noticed how some applications look different. Of course, I tried to "fix" the looks of them, but I learned that if there is no engine or theme, there is nothing I can do.

During the years the look and feel situation got a lot better.
Today, Fedora Workstation has an almost complete unified look no matter what application one might use. But, there are a few things missing. Such as Adwaita and HighContrast styles for Qt's Quick Controls.
For one reason, such looks can be a make or break thing for newbies.
And the more newbies Fedora or just Linux desktop can capture in general, the better.

About me. I am in the process of finishing my university studies and getting my CS BSc degree. In the first years of my university, I have worked as a student-intern developer at a few bigger companies and startups. Nowadays the majority of my time is spent with tinkering around, programming, studying, and helping people on various mediums. Besides these, I also help out with the translation of various projects, and I help out the qBittorrent project as well.

The opportunity of being a student in Google's Summer of Code 2017 would allow me to learn more about Qt, Quick Controls, the Styles for them. And let's not forget about QML, CMake and Gnome. All heavily involved in this proposal. CMake is an invaluable tool, and in-depth Gnome knowledge is useful for every administrator and user.

Ps.: Sorry if this introduction letter got way too long or way too detailed.

Thanks for reading!
Yours sincerely,
Zsolt Peter Basak (on IRC / Wiki: zspb)