Proposal of Fedora nfs/fscache writeback cache idea

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Dong Zhu <bluezhudong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

>   My name is Dong Zhu from Dalian,China.I am a intern working in
>   Redhat.I am interested in this idea
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Implement_nfs.2Ffscache_writeback_cache
Glad that you are interested :)

>   The following information is my Proposal of this idea,Could help
>   reviewing it ? Any comments are appreciated.
>
> ------------------ 8< ---------------------
>
> Application for Google Summer of Code 2012: Dong Zhu
>
> Contact Information
>
> Email Address: bluezhudong at gmail.com
>
> Telephone: 13840848540
(minor) you need to add your country code which I believe is 86 :)

> Blog URL: http://bluezd.info
>
> Freenode IRC Nick: bluezd
>
> Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
> First: I am a fedora user,I use the fedora 15 as my Desktop os now.
> Second: The Fedora Project is a worldwide community,I am eager to
> participate it and make contribute for it.
> Third: I have great interesting in opensource,especially Fedora Project.
>
> Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or another open
> source project as a contributor?
> I am intern working in Redhat as a kernel-qe for almost one year,I
> test/report many bugs and write a large number of automatic testcases on
> RHEL.On the other hand I also read the kernel source code,then write
> some related patch to test the kernel.
>
> Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years,
> which organizations?
> No
>
> Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the
> GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
> Yes,Of course.I am crazy interested in Linux
> kernel,filesystem,Power-Management,Timer,Interrupt,I am looking forward
> to submit patch to the fedora-devel. I think I can contribute to fedora
> project according to my knowledge.
>
> Why should we choose you over other applicants?
> I have knowledge of Linux and the linux kernel.I am familiar with
> Filesystem,USB driver,Power-Management,Timer,Interrupt,Mem.
> I have experience analyzing and debugging Linux kernel source code,I can
> write some related kernel module by myself.
> I experience working in OpenSource.
>
> Proposal Description
>
> Synopsis:
> I will implement the writeback mechanism for nfs during the summer,I
> will spend 8 hours a day to work for my project at least.
>
> Biograph:
> I am a student from DaLian,China(timezone:GMT+8),23 years old,I am crazy
> about the OpenSource especially the Linux kernel.
>

> Project:
> NFS only supports write through cache based on fscache/cachefiles,the
> goal is adding a new feature that implement a writeback mechanism for
> nfs.
>
> Profit for writeback mechanism
> Add a new feature of the fscache,Meet the needs of different people,can
> satisfy the requrements from different people,and the customer will
> benefit from it.

This is not just about fscache. It requires nfs, fscache and
cachefiles to work together to make it happen.

> Experience:
> I am good at C/shell Programming and familiar with the Linux kernel/nfs.
>
> I worked for redhat for almost one year and write many testcases(C &&
> shell),I have experience working for OpenSource.
>
> I am familiar with extX filesystems and know the implementation of it by
> reading the source code.So I am very familiar with the mechanism of
> cache (indoe cache,dentry cache,address_space).I also have the
> experiecnce of developering the kernel module.
>
> Implementation:
> 1.First I think I need to read the fscache source code and familiar with
> the fscache APIs,such as fscache_read_or_alloc_page,To figure out the
> implementation of the nfs make use of the FS-cache facilities.
> 2.Then investigate nfs fscache and cachefiles implementation and a
> knowledge of write through.
> 3.At last modify the fscache and cachefiles modules to add some
> necessary APIs to implement the write back without breaking the NFS
> specific close-to-open semantics.
Again, all three modules nfs/fscache/cachefiles need to be modified to
support writeback caching. And I hope you can divide step 3 into
smaller and clearer steps.

> Roadmap:
> 1. Publish my goals to the community and try to get some feedback and
> suggestions on my plans. Then I will get familiar with
> nfs->fscachethe->cachefiles that I require for my work. (maybe until
> early June)
> 2. Discuss with the community and the mentor about the write  back and
> implement it.(until July)
The first two steps seem to be too long... Hope you can re-consider it
so that you leave enough time for coding.

> 3. Implement the writeback mechanism. (Before August)
I believe one month is too short for coding. And I'd prefer if you can
give some general idea of how you are going to implement the project.
No need to be too specific but some general ideas and measurable steps
(and yeah, general ideas and measurable steps should be the main
content of your proposal.)

> 4. Finish developing and re-compile the related of nfs kernel module
> (nfs,fscache,cacahefiles),test it and check whether it works well.

Besides above, documentation is also important for GSoC projects. You
can write down your learning experience, design etc., to help others
review and use the code.

--
Thanks,
Tao

[Index of Archives]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [EPEL Announce]     [Fedora Magazine]     [Fedora News]     [Fedora Laptop]     [Fedora Cloud]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Education]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Scitech]     [Fedora Robotics]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Infrastructure]     [Fedora Websites]     [Anaconda Devel]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora Fonts]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Management Tools]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora R Devel]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kickstart]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Fedora Legal]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora QA]     [Fedora Triage]     [Fedora OCaml]     [Coolkey]     [Virtualization Tools]     [ET Management Tools]     [Yum Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Maemo Users]     [Gnome Users]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Maemo Users]     [Asterisk PBX]     [Fedora Sparc]     [Fedora Universal Network Connector]     [Libvirt Users]     [Fedora ARM]