Re: Questions on multi-thread for crash

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 11:34 PM Tao Liu <ltao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I made an attempt to introduce a thread pool for crash utility, to
> optimize the performance of crash.
>
> One obvious point which can benefit from multi-threading is memory.c:vm_init().
> There are hundreds of MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT() related symbol resolving functions,
> and most of the symbols are independent from each other, by careful arrangement,
> they can be invoked parallelly. By doing so, we can shorten the waiting time of
> crash starting.

I realize this isn't the area of the code you mention, but did you consider
using the thread pool to speed up really slow commands such as 'search'?

A while back I was taking some actual data in our production vmcore system
for 'slow' commands (I mean commands that engineers would have running
for hours/days and/or even fire up multiple crash instances to run them).  I
cannot recall all of the commands but 'search' was definitely on the top of
the list.