Re: [tools-team] Questions on multi-thread for crash

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, it really helped me a lot for
better understanding of gdb.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 10:27 PM Andrew Burgess <aburgess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tao Liu <ltao@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > CC the discussion to tools-team
> >
> > Hi lianbo,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree by filtering out the symbols which
> > do not exist for current kernel will decrease the startup work and
> > shorten the waiting time. It is a different technical path, however I
> > believe multi-thread can achieve more, including symbol resolve. For
> > example in main.c, several xx_init() functions can be parallelled as
> > well after careful arrangement.
> >
> > Hi tools team,
> >
> > Sorry for the interruption, I don't know if it is a topic worthy of
> > discussion, is gdb a thread-safe debugger, or can it be thread-safe? I
> > can provide a little more background here. We are using crash utility
> > for kernel vmcore debugging, and crash is built upon gdb (By patching
> > some code to gdb source and compiling and linking them together).
>
> Hi Tao,
>
> I'd like to try and answer your question.
>
> Apologies if I have misunderstood you, but, it sounds like you are
> somehow combining GDB with some additional code to create a new "crash"
> utility.  Almost like you are trying to use GDB as a debugger library.

Yes, it is exactly the case.

> If this is the case, then no, GDB is certainly not thread safe.  GDB
> isn't a library, and was not written as one.  I guess it'll work just
> fine if you only try to use a single instance of GDB within "crash", but
> if you have multiple threads calling into different parts of GDB then
> things are going to go wrong quickly.

OK, thanks for the confirmation! I realised gdb may not be thread-safe
when the testing result went wrong. But I didn't know if my guess was
correct, so I was in a crossing whether to continue or turn around for
a different path. Now I think it's time for me to choose a new path.

> > I notice gdb already support multi-thread somehow (in
> > gdb-10.2/gdbsupport/thread-pool.cc, and "GDB may use multiple threads
> > to speed up certain CPU-intensive operations, such as demangling
> > symbol names" as I quoted from gdb-10.2/gdb/maint.c). So it seems to
> > me at least some part of gdb is thread safe.
>
> GDB does make use of multiple threads to speed up some aspects of the
> DWARF loading and symbol table building.  But this is really a very
> limited corner of GDB (though definitely something that is time
> consuming so benefits from parallelism), the core of GDB, the bit that
> uses the symbol table to provide a debugger to the user, is all single
> threaded.

At the startup of crash utility, it will resolve hundreds of kernel
symbols, to determine the memory layout, modules loading, kernel
version and etc information of current vmcore and vmlinux. Previously
crash achieved this by calling some upper level functions of gdb.
Hmm... maybe it is worth trying to ask crash to call to the lower
DWARF loading functions...

> >                                                The problem is I don't
> > know the thread safe boundary, so segfault and broken stack are easily
> > triggered when multithread enabled in crash utility.
>
> I really don't think what you want is going to work with GDB, so I've
> not dug through to find the exact code that runs in the worker threads,
> but I know its limited to DWARF parsing and symbol table creation.

OK, thanks for the explanation!

> > In addition, if any other modern debuggers, such as lldb, can provide
> > more multi-thread support, then I can give it a try, but I lack
> > related info. Any suggestions and comments are welcomed, thanks in
> > advance!
>
> I don't know if any other debuggers are written more as a library, so
> can't help here, sorry.

No problem, thanks again for your directions and help!

Thanks,
Tao Liu