Re: Threaded crash tool? Is it time?

(2013/04/12 9:24), James Washer wrote:
Machines are getting ever bigger. I routinely look at crash dumps from
systems with 2TB  or more of memory. I'm finding I'm wasting too much
time waiting on crash to complete a command. For example "kmem -s" took
close to an hour on the dump I'm looking at now.

Has anyone ever looked into mutli-threading crash? Given the kmem -s
example above, a thread could be created for each cache (up to some
defined limit of threads).

Things like "foreach" could spawn threads. I'm sure there are lots of
other opportunities.

Yes, I know, it's open source, I should just go do it myself. Still, I'd
like to hear pro's and con's on this idea.

FYI. Some performance improvement work for kmem -s and kmem -p was done on v6.0.3. If you are using crash utility older than 6.0.3, using latest version might be enough for you.

From ChangeLog:

6.0.3    - Fix to gdb-7.3.1/bfd/bfdio.c to properly zero out a complete
           struct stat with a corrected memset argument; caught when
           compiling with the Clang Static Analyzer.
           (idoenmez@xxxxxxx)
<cut>
         - Significant speed increase of the "kmem -p" command,
           especially on large-memory systems.
           (qiaonuohan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
<cut>
         - Performance increase for the "kmem -s <address>" option on
           kernels configured with CONFIG_SLAB, most notably on kernels
           whose kmem_cache.array[NR_CPUS] array is several pages in
           size.
           (qiaonuohan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

--
Thanks.