I give up. How do I build with CFLAGS='-g3 -O0' ??

I've tried all the easy ways, but gdb just absolutely,
positively insists upon being built with -O2 and I am
just too lazy to enjoy the torture I'm put through with
all the jumping around that results.

Is there any way short of sedding the generated Makefiles?
Capturing the configure step and inserting my own is too
obvious and insufficient.

(FYI, I am still trying to figure out why certain sections
of memory are unfindable in the crash dump.)

Thank you!  Cheers  - Bruce