Re: crash seek error

----- "Dharmosoth Seetharam" <seetharam_21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have configured the linux kernel 2.6.12 to support the kernel crash dump using the
> "mini kernel dump" method.

Sorry, but I have no clue what the "mini kernel dump" method is.
Although from the output below, it looks to be an LKCD derivative.

> I have few questions please help me.
>
> details:
> kernel : linux 2.6.12
> arch : i386
> distr: centOS
> System RAM : 8G
>
> 1) While writing dump to block device its got hung after writing 4GB
>
> 2) I have reduced my SYSTEM RAM to 2G and tried it dumped 2G to block device
>
> But, crash tool unable to read it.
> following is the error
>
> ----
> [root@Assam ~]# crash -d7 /root/linux-2.6.12/vmlinux
> /scratch/dump/2009031017583 1/lkcd_dump
> crash 4.0-2.15

Your crash version is remarkably old -- 3+ years old -- and it's
always worth your while to update to the latest version.

> Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Red Hat, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2004, 2005 IBM Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Hewlett-Packard Co
> Copyright (C) 2005 Fujitsu Limited
> Copyright (C) 2005 NEC Corporation
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
> This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
> and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> certain conditions. Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
> This program has absolutely no warranty. Enter "help warranty" for details.
> crash: diskdump: dump does not have panic dump header
> dump_header:
> dh_magic_number: 618f23ed (DUMP_MAGIC_NUMBER)
> dh_version: 8 (LKCD_DUMP_V8)
> dh_header_size: 734
> dh_dump_level: f
> (DUMP_LEVEL_HEADER|DUMP_LEVEL_KERN|DUMP_LEVEL_USED|DUMP_LEV EL_ALL)
> dh_page_size: 4096
> dh_memory_size: 524153
> dh_memory_start: c0000000
> dh_memory_end: 618f23ed
> dh_num_pages: 524153
> dh_panic_string: Compulsory dump(stat of mkexec was set as 2).
> dh_time: Tue Mar 10 17:48:00 2009
> dh_utsname_sysname: Linux
> dh_utsname_nodename: Assam
> dh_utsname_release: 2.6.12-5MKEXEC
> dh_utsname_version: #7 SMP Thu Mar 5 15:25:22 IST 2009
> dh_utsname_machine: i686
> dh_utsname_domainname: (none)
> dh_current_task: efc4a020
> dh_dump_compress: 0 (DUMP_COMPRESS_NONE)
> dh_dump_flags: 80000000 ()
> dh_dump_device: 0
> unknown page flag in dump: 2de
> found DUMP_DH_END
> <readmem: 8015564b, KVADDR, "x86_omit_frame_pointer", 8, (ROE), 7fbbe228>
> crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: 8015564b type: "x86_omit_frame_point er"
> <readmem: 804b1210, KVADDR, "xtime", 8, (FOE), 834d234>
> crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: 804b1210 type: "xtime"
> [root@Assam ~]#
>
> can you please help me in this.

Maybe, maybe not...

Seek errors are meant to indicate that, after the translation from
kernel virtual address to physical address to the dumpfile location
ended up with a dumpfile offset that was either:

 (1) not accessible, or
 (2) the physical page associated with the virtual address was not
     found in the dumpfile.

I can't really help you with LKCD particulars, and like I mentioned
above, I don't know what the "mini kernel dump" version of LKCD is,
but I do note above that the dumpfile is being recognized as version
LKCD_DUMP_V8.  And http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash.changelog.html
contains this change to 4.0-2.17 that fixed something in your version
4.0-2.15:

  4.0-2.17 - Fix to resurrect LKCD version 8 support, inadvertently broken in
             4.0-2.15. (troy.heber@xxxxxx)

           - Fix for "net -S" failures in certain 2.6 kernels that failed with
             "net: cannot determine what an inet_sock structure is" message;
             shows embedded sock structure instead of failing. (anonymous donor)

           - Fix for erroneous "net -s" source/destination address and port
             values in certain 2.6 kernels; added "net -s" source/destination
             address and port values for IPv6 sockets.  (anderson@xxxxxxxxxx)
             (12/16/05)

  4.0-2.16 - Fix for the x86_64 backtrace code to search all of the exception
             stacks for the origin of the active tasks' backtrace when the
             information is not available in the dumpfile header.  Up until now,
             the search was made in the process stack, the per-cpu IRQ stack,
             and the per-cpu NMI exception stack; this patch looks at all 3
             exception stacks in 2.4 kernels (NMI, STACKFAULT and DOUBLEFAULT),
             and all 5 exception stacks in 2.6 kernels (NMI, STACKFAULT,
             DOUBLEFAULT, DEBUG and MCE).

           - Fix to remove erroneous warning message re: the task cpu not being
             the same as the IRQ or exception stack cpu, which was displayed when
             doing a non-context-sensitive "bt -E" on an x86_64.
             (12/12/05)

  4.0-2.15 - Applied Kurt Rader's (kdrader@xxxxxxxxxx) patch for SUSE SLES 9
             "bigsmp" kernel LKCD dumpfiles, to fix "conflicting page" abort
             caused by a dumpfile header that is larger than the formerly
             hard-wired header size.

           - Fix for ppc64-only segmentation violation when running "bt" on the
             panic task when run against a dumpfile created by the diskdump
             facility's new compressed format.
             (12/02/05)

Perhaps upgrading to the latest version (4.0-7.7) will help?

Dave