Re: the kmem get some errors

Yang Zhiguo wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Anderson" <anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Discussion list for crash utility usage,maintenance and development" <crash-utility@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:36 PM
Subject: Re:  the kmem get some errors

Yang Zhiguo wrote:
hi,

When i use kmem command on a IA64 with RHEL5.1 as following, there are some errors.
Anyone can explain it?

crash> kmem -c
kmem: cannot determine page cache size
crash> kmem -C
kmem: address_space page cache radix tree not supported
crash> kmem -la
kmem: active_list does not exist in this kernel
crash> kmem -La
kmem: active_list does not exist in this kernel
crash> kmem -li
kmem: inactive_list does not exist in this kernel
crash> kmem -Li
kmem: inactive_list does not exist in this kernel
None of the above are applicable to the RHEL5.1 (2.6.18-based) kernel,
because the symbols they reference no longer exist.

If so, maybe we should explain it in man pages.

Well, this is not uncommon -- because the crash utility maintains
backwards compatibility, there are numerous command options that
are no longer applicable, and when they fail, the idea is to
display a concise error message explaining why they fail.

crash> kmem -P e0000001843760c0
  <segmentation violation>
Shouldn't happen, but the command makes no sense (e0000001843760c0
cannot be a physical address.

An error message may be more better.

That's true.  On the other arches I've got available, the command
returns: "<address>: physical address not found in mem map".
I don't have an ia64 readily available, so I'm not sure exactly
where it takes the SIGSEGV.

Dave