Re: Re: EFBIG with gdb - to you hack gdb to pass O_LARGEFILE in the files open() flags?

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:

Dave Anderson wrote:
| Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:
|>
|> Hi Dave:
|>
|> I was wondering why gdb isn't having a problem with the crash file
|> being too big when started with crash yet when handing the
|> vmcore directly to gdb it gets an error while opening the file EFBIG.
|
| Because the embedded gdb module in crash doesn't have a clue
| about dumpfiles.a

But the stock gdb knows how to read kexec vmcore files. Right?

I don't know whether the stock 32-bit gdb knows how to read the default-sized
64-bit kdump ELF vmcores (yet).  If not, you can configure kudmp to create
32-bit ELF vmcores in /etc/sysconfig/kdump here in Red Hat environments:

  # Any additional kexec arguments required.  In most situations, this should
  # be left empty
  #
  # Example:
  #   KEXEC_ARGS="--elf32-core-headers"
  KEXEC_ARGS=" --args-linux"

But that will clip off the memory above 4GB (if it would even work at all).

But w/respect to the file size issue, that's a different issue.

|    It's invoked internally simply as "gdb vmlinux"
| in order to get the symbol values, debuginfo data, etc.

Right it's not accessing the core file directly.

| When you bring up gdb on just a binary executable you can still
| issue gdb commands that in turn generate read commands from the
| the executable.

Right but I want to use ddd on the core file in addition to crash
to browse data structures with the data window. I use it all the time
with kgdb. Problem is here the panic is holding a spinlock and KGDB
over ethernet doesn't work when a spinlock is held. KGDB over serial
isn't working in my image last I tried to use it.

|  But one of the many hacks to the embedded gdb module
| is to hijack any read attempts, and pass them back up to the
| crash-based module for resolution.

I was thinking of just pulling one of the DIMMS and getting memory low
enough that gdb isn't confused.

Or just put mem=XXXg on the boot command line?

Dave