Re: kdump and lvm ?

Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
I'm trying to get kdump working on our RHEL5 servers, but am failing to get any dumps. After I trigger a crash, it starts booting the kdump environment, but quickly
fails with messages about (from memory):

	Imported volume group "rootvg" OK.
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-swaplv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-rootlv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-varlv
	Failed to find logical volume /dev/mapper/-locallv

and dumps me into the shell.  I checked the /dev/mapper
directory, and found the expected /dev/mapper/rootvg-swaplv, /dev/mapper/rootvg-rootlv, etc.. So the problem seems to be
that kdump is eating up the "rootvg"-part of the device name.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas for how to fix it ?

Another thing.. anybody know if it's possible the redirect
the kdump output to netconsole ? That would be very nice
for capturing the reason when it fails..

  -jf

Although there's a huge member cross-over between this list
and the two above, the primary purpose of this list is the
crash utility itself.

Dave