Re: RFC: crash extension module handling

Maneesh Soni wrote:
Actually as a conincidence, recently I have also started playing with
merging libsial code with crash. I shall sync up with Luc Chouinard in
a separate thread and find out about his approach though I am quite far
to chalk out my own approach.

IIUC, Dave is ok with having extensions source files with crash src rpm?
Now, libsial has lot of .c files and keeping them in a separate directory
like extensions/libsial/*.c, should make sense and then have "make extensions"
build "libsial.so". I wonder if Jeff's approach can address the case of
having extension sources in a separate directory?

As of now, I am trying with this crude stuff added to extensions/Makfile

+libsial.so:
+       cd libsial; make -f Makefile

Thanks
Maneesh

Hi Maneesh,

No problem!

And yes, in the case of sial, the whole libsial library
subdirectory source tree will absolutely become part of
the crash source tree.

Definitely link up with Luc -- he's pretty much completed
the sial implementation as well.

Luc also had initially appended a couple of example
sial script commands that emulated the "ps" and "files"
commands.  And we went through the same discussion
w/respect to cluttering up the crash source tree with
sial scripts, where I'm really only interested in
providing the sial *mechanism*.

Anyway, after I twisted his arm long enough, he agreed,
and since he was also planning to set up a sourceforge
site for sial itself, he going to populate a sial scripts
repository there as well.  I will link to it, and/or populate
a sial scripts repository on the crash utility site.

FYI, he's got a sial.c module in the extensions subdirectory,
which kicks off the build of the libsial.a, which is contained
in the extensions/libsial subdirectory:

lib-sial:
        cd libsial && make

sial.so: ../defs.h sial.c lib-sial
        gcc -g -I.. -Ilibsial -I../gdb-6.1/include -I../gdb-6.1/gdb
        -I../gdb-6.1/gdb/config -nostartfiles -shared -rdynamic
        -o sial.so sial.c -fPIC -D$(TARGET) -Llibsial -lsial

The sial.c file offers up the "load", "unload" and
"edit" (renamed from the lcrash "vi") commands.

Sound pretty much like what you've done as well --
great minds think alike...

Thanks,
  Dave