Re: implementation of -h and --help

Markus Armbruster wrote:
Dave Anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

I thought you might pick up on the damn "less" issue in the help
output...  ;-)

To handle that issue, I've decided to do the same thing that
man(1) does.  The man command does the same thing as crash, i.e,
it uses "/usr/bin/less -isr" by default, but allows its override
with a "MANPAGER" environment variable.  So I'm going to allow users
to hang themselves with CRASHPAGER environment variable.  I hadn't
thought of using it as part of the help output, but it should
work there as well.

man(1) says:

       MANPAGER
              If MANPAGER is set, its value is used as the name of the program
              to  use to display the man page.  If not, then PAGER is used. If
              that has no value either, /usr/bin/less -is is used.

Do you plan to fall back to PAGER when CRASHPAGER is not set?

No, because of the reason I mentioned earlier, that being an
environment of "PAGER=/usr/bin/less" completely screws up the
user interface.

Dave