Re: [alsa-devel] first and last audio sample timestamp

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:58:26 +0200,
Subhashini Rao Beerisetty wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:50:20 +0200,
> > Subhashini Rao Beerisetty wrote:

> > need to
> > arrive

> > the

> > last

> > > Okay then if start trigger is the time of the first sample for capture,
> > > then is stop trigger is for last sample?
> >
> > No, it's not necessarily the last sample.  It's the just time you stop
> > the stream.  The stop might happen some time after the last sample got
> > received.  The accuracy in that regard pretty much depends on the
> > hardware and the driver implementation.
> >
> Thanks for the clarification. What about for playback scenario?

A similar situation.  The timestamp at stop trigger is the time you
stopped the stream, and it's not about the "last" sample time.

BTW, for the accurate timestamping, check
Documentation/sound/design/timestamping.rst.

Takashi