Re: cap seach for session libvirt

On 8/7/24 2:25 PM, daggs via Users wrote:
Greetings,

I'm working on allowing a session vm to create a tap iface.
the vm has this defintion:
     <interface type='ethernet'>

If you were able to create a tap device with session-mode libvirt, what would you do with it? It's not connected to anything, and your session-mode libvirt wouldn't be able to set an IP address (which would permit traffic to be *routed* to it by the host ip networking).

       <mac address='52:54:00:a7:79:6b'/>
       <target dev='veth0'/>

Is there a particular reason you're wanting to name the device "veth0"? That naming is usually use for veth devices (these are two-sided network devices that are created in pairs, both looking like an ethernet. They can be used to connect an LXC container running in a separate network name space to the host's network name space (they are, as a matter of fact, what libvirt's LXC driver uses to implement networking in LXC containers). They are of really no use to a QEMU VM though. I'm pointing this out because it's possible that the Linux kernel makes some assumptions based on a device's name (unlikely, but also humans might make incorrect assumptions based on the name).

       <model type='virtio'/>
       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
     </interface>

when I try to start the vm, I get this error: Unable to create tap device veth0: Operation not permitted
searching the code led me to this line: https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/blob/0caacf47d7b423db9126660fb0382ed56cd077c1/src/util/virnetdevtap.c#L232
I've looked on line and found out I need the net_admin_cap set. so I took the relevant code in to a dedicated test file and using pam_cap I've defined such cap

At guest start time. libvirt will see that a tap device is needed, then exec qemu-bridge-helper (which is a suid-root binary with the necessary caps to create a tap and connect it to a bridge) to create the tap device and connect it to the specified bridge. It passes the name of the tap device back to libvirt, which in turn provides the tap device to QEMU.

Of course your example suggests that you don't want the tap device connected to a bridge, but in that case again I would ask "Why?".

for the test file, all went well.
so I took it back to virsh and defined that cap to virsh but I'm still getting the same issue, see: https://ibb.co/zHggRQZ
the os is debian 12

any ideas why I'm still getting this error?

Thanks,

Dagg