Re: per user vm isolation with shared network

> Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2024 at 5:25 PM
> From: "Michal Prívozník" <mprivozn@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "daggs" <daggs@xxxxxxx>
> Cc: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: per user vm isolation with shared network

> >> No sysadmin wants to allow regular users to bind PCI devices to "random"
> >> drivers, surely. PCI devices must be "detached" (i.e. bound to vfio
> >> driver) by sysadmin (e.g. virsh -c qemu:///system nodedev-detach ...)
> >> BEFORE qemu:///session domain wants to use the device.
> > so I should call virsh -c qemu:///system nodedev-detach from within the libvirt hook? wont that might cause a hangup?
> > I did got that in some scenarios.
>
> No, calling libvirt from hooks is strongly discouraged as deadlocks are
> likely to occur. Just detach PCI devices before starting any
> qemu:///session domain. Either right at startup (write an init service),
> do that manually, doesn't matter really.
>
> Michal

that seems more complicated as I want to be sure that all devs are reattached on termination, so I cannot use autostart as I need to detach the devs prior to starting it from the init script.
I can add a test to see if the vm was started via the init script, if not error.
I can use atd daemon to call run the reattachment from the hook but depend on the condition that virsh was terminated.
regarding the error I got, can you point me to the location in the code that preforms it? waiting for the distro's devs might take too long so I want to try and solve it by myself