Re: Running libvirt without dnsmasq

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 7:30 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 06:21:29PM -0000, procmem@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi, we are trying to document a way for our users to run libvirt without
>
> The virtual network driver validates existance of dnsmasq at startup,
> but nothing requires you to actually run the virtual network driver,
> if you're intending to do your own thing with network setup.
> If you're using the new modular daemons, then even if installed, the
> virtnetworkd daemon won't get launched unless some guest is configured
> to use it. So if you're intending to setup network bridges yourself,
> virtnetworkd shouldn't run.

Just checking my understanding here.
I set up a home lab with a load of RHEL software. I already had DHCP
and DNS and didn't want dnsmasq to run. I defined a bridge, told
libvirt about it, and also ran all the modular daemons (I didn't
really understand them and copied the systemctl commands to start
libvirt modular daemons.

How useful is virtnetworkd in this situation?
Shall I just leave it off?

reference

systemctl commands to start libvirt modular daemons
https://libvirt.org/daemons.html#switching-to-modular-daemons
network descriptions
https://wiki.libvirt.org/VirtualNetworking.html
my home lab code (all ansible playbooks, I'm afraid)
ansible to start modular daemons
https://github.com/nickhardiman/ansible-collection-aap2-refarch/blob/main/roles/libvirt_host/tasks/libvirt-modular-daemons.yml
define a bridge
https://github.com/nickhardiman/ansible-collection-aap2-refarch/blob/main/roles/libvirt_net_public/tasks/public-linux-bridge.yml