librbd encryption and guest XML

Hi,

I have been trying to use the librbd engine to run a guest from an encrypted RBD image and am running into some problems.

What I would like to do is:

1. Start from an unencrypted raw image with an OS
2. Make an encrypted clone of that image
3. Boot a guest from the encrypted clone image

What I have tried so far (simplified):

1. Make a clone of the unencrypted image

rbd clone images/unencrypted@snap images/encryptedclone

2. Format the clone image with encryption

rbd encryption format images/encryptedclone luks1 passphrase.bin

3. Create guest XML with the encrypted clone

    [...]
    <disk type="network" device="disk">
      <driver type="raw" cache="writeback"/>
      <source protocol="rbd" name="images/encryptedclone">
        <host name="127.0.0.1" port="6789"/>
        <encryption format="luks" engine="librbd">
          <secret type="passphrase" uuid="secretuuid"/>
        </encryption>
      </source>
      <auth username="cinder">
        <secret type="ceph" uuid="othersecretuuid"/>
      </auth>
      <target dev="vda" bus="virtio"/>
    </disk>
    [...]

and virDomainCreateWithFlags() with the XML.

I don't get any errors from libvirt (no errors about loading encryption) but this configuration does not seem to work, the guest won't boot.

If anyone can give me a hint what I'm doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
-melwitt