qemu guest agent with openbsd

Hello,

I have an OpenBSD 7.5 guest running on Debian bookworm with libvirt (9.0) and qemu (7.2).

I'd like to use the qemu guest agent in this guest, but I can't seem to figure out how to craft the libvirt xml to expose the serial port in a way that OpenBSD and libvirt can use it together (or if it’s even possible).

Per the libvirt docs, I’m currently using:

<channel type='unix'>
   <source mode='bind'/>
   <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
</channel>

But OpenBSD doesn’t directly support the virtio console driver. Consistent with this 2020 thread from the OpenBSD ports making list, I see the following message in my guest’s dmesg output:

virtio5 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 "Qumranet Virtio Console" rev 0x00
virtio5: no matching child driver; not configured

Thanks to this libvir-list thread from 2015, I’ve realized that I can manually expose an ISA serial console that will allow me to connect to the guest agent using native qemu tooling; but there doesn’t seem to be a way to create a channel that libvirt can communicate over without virtio console support in the guest. The thread discusses a couple of approaches to resolving this issue with code changes, but it seems like the discussion stalled out before anything happened.

Am I missing something or is it still impossible?

Thanks!