Re: Info regarding AMX support and libvirt implications

On 3/1/24 03:30, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 12:47 AM Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxx <mailto:jfehlig@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
[snip]

    Yes, support for the SapphireRapids CPU model was added in libvirt 9.4.0

    https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/96c8d39af007000daf3d5dfa845365f66379aaac <https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/96c8d39af007000daf3d5dfa845365f66379aaac>

Thanks.
Is there any virsh or another command or any file on a system that shows me the features supported for a certain cpu-model?

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps others can suggest something I'm not considering.

Eg without going to the sources inside src/cpu_map/x86_SapphireRapids.xml?
Without being on that cpu when running the command?

I think that's it, which is better than looking at e.g. target/i386/cpu.c in the qemu sources :-).

BTW, on a libvirt installation you'd likely find those files in /usr/share/libvirt/cpu_map/.

[snip]

    There are other requests to support SapphireRapids in SLES15 SP5, but it will
    take some time to backport patches for all these components and release updated
    packages.

    Regards,
    Jim

Ok. Is it expected to have full support for SP6 in June? Any way to pre-test in case?

Yes, SapphireRapids will be supported in SP6, which has libvirt 10.0.0. WRT pre-test, there's a SLE public beta program, but I'm not familiar with the details. IMO it would be easier to experiment with Leap 15.6, which shares virt-related packages with SLE15 SP6

https://get.opensuse.org/leap/15.6/#download
https://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.6/

Please report any bugs you find to bugzilla.opensuse.org.

Regards,
Jim