Re: Permission Denied error when I try to open the image file stored on the ZFS disk accessed through sshfs from another machine...

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 21:32:39 -0000, marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello to everyone.
>
> I would like to boot the FreeBSD 13.2 image file using Libvirt + virt-manager. I have stored the image on the external hard drive,"formatted" with ZFS while I'm using Devuan 5 installed on my ARM (32 bit) Chromebook,where I have access to the ZFS disk using sshfs using this command :
>
> sshfs -o Compression=no -o allow_root -o transform_symlinks -o password_stdin root@192.168.1.2:/mnt/zroot2/zroot2 /mnt/zroot2/zroot2 <<< 'pass'
>
> This is the error I get when I try to boot the image file using virt-manager :
>
> error : qemuProcessReportLogError:1990 : internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2023-11-28T20:53:46.882586Z qemu-system-arm: -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/zroot2/zroot2/OS/Chromebook/FreeBSD-guestOS/freebsd-kvm/FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-armv7.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}: Could not open '/mnt/zroot2/zroot2/OS/Chromebook/FreeBSD-guestOS/freebsd-kvm/FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-armv7.img': Permission denied

Note that you didn't provide the VM xml or details on how the VM is
configured so I'll speculate based on what most users would use.

Important fact is that 'sshfs' by default doesn't allow other users to
access the mounted directory. You partially bypassed that with "-o
allow_root" but only for the root user.

When a VM is run in the systme context (libvirt uri 'qemu:///system')
then the VM process itself runs as the 'qemu' user and not root.

So unless you've mounted the 'sshfs' as the qemu user, which would be
hard to do it's most likely what's causing your problem.

You can use -o allow_others, but beware that it indeed allows any
user to access the sshfs mount.

Some distros compile qemu with a direct ssh driver for disks, but that
requires a very new libvirt and also you must setup SSH key
authentication accessible from the user running your vm.

Another obvious but very insecure option is to instruct libvirt to run
the VM as the root user.