Re: Passing through a YubiKey to a Windows VM for physical touch activation

On Fri, 2023-11-03 at 12:28 +0000, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> I have a need to pass through a YubiKey to a Windows (10) VM guest
> such that Windows in the guest will let me use it with physical touch
> activation for 2FA.
>
> For those times, I am physically at the VM host, so I don't need
> _remote_ redirection into the guest, and I'm fine with plugging and
> unplugging the YubiKey physically on an as-needed basis.
>
> If I simply redirect the USB device through the virt-manager GUI, my
> experience is that it has at best worked very much unreliably, and
> often not at all.
>
> Searching the web hasn't helped.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for that to work _reliably_?

I had 2 smartcard readers for 10 years connected to different virtual
machines. This worked for me all these years:

 <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x08e6'/>
        <product id='0x3478'/>
      </source>