Re: virtio-mem with virt-install to share memory between guest and host on-demand

Thanks, but I don't understand why nobody mentions actually WHY it is being locked. I eventually found the answer by listening to Alex Williamson's talk on the subject, where he mentions that IOMMU chips lack "page faulting" machanism. He also suggests that it may be possible that in the future it will be added to x86 PCs, so I think that it is important that we talk about it rather than just take this memory pinning situation for granted.

Thanks for mentioning memory hotplugging - I've looked into virtio-mem project, which seems to address this, but as you mentioned (and thank you for stating it clearly as it took me a long time to figure it out) it requires manual interventions from the admin.

Best wishes,

Daniel