Re: Updating domains definitions via API

On 5/12/22 4:03 PM, Darragh Bailey wrote:
Hi,

Looking into a bug in vagrant-libvirt where an error during the update will cause the domain to be completely discarded.

https://github.com/vagrant-libvirt/vagrant-libvirt/issues/949 <https://github.com/vagrant-libvirt/vagrant-libvirt/issues/949>

Basically I think it stems from doing an undefine -> create with XML new process, which if there is an issue with the new XML due to KVM module not loaded or something similar it will be rejected, but unfortunately it is also unlikely to allow the old definition to be restored either.

I'm looking around to try and see if there is an API (specfically in ruby-libvirt) for updating the domain definition, so that if the new XML is rejected at least the old definition remains, and so far I'm drawing a blank.

Is the only option here to write using a temporary domain name, then remove the old domain and rename the new definition to the old domain?

Or have I missed the obvious API analogous to the edit functionality?

The virDomainDefineXMLFlags API (and also the older/deprecated virDomainDefineXML API) doesn't require that the domain first be undefined (with one notable exception - see below[*]). If you define a domain that already exists with the same name and uuid, then the effect is to "redefine" (or "update" if you prefer) the existing domain of that name. If the domain is currently active, then the changes will take effect the next time the domain is shut down ("Destroy"ed in libvirt API parlance) and re-started.

If any error is encountered during this redefinition, then no changes are made to the existing domain definition.

[*]The exception to this - if you attempt to Define a domain that has the same name or uuid as an existing domain, but the uuid/name is different, that is an error.