Re: macvtap with disconnected physical interface

Il 2022-05-04 00:03 Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
well this is kind of by design. if we don't force guest's link
down it will think it can access internet, with all packets
being lost.

I understand. But in my opinion, inter-guest communication should be preserved because:
a) this is how the classical bridge mode works;
b) modern guest have internal checks for internet connection;
c) guest-to-guest communication should not be impaired by (lack of) internet access.

I see how you might want that in some cases - maybe we
should consider an option to disable this behaviour.

It would be great - especially as default behavior.
In the meantime, do we have some virsh command (or libvirt xml snippet) to work around the issue, rather than messing with "ip link protodown off"?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico