Resize backing store

Apologies in advance if this be a stupid question, as everything I've read seems to suggest it's impossible.

Slowly running out of space on a 200GB root partition.

Is it possible to create a snapshot - leaving the QCOW2 image 'quiescent' - resize it using 'qemu-img resize' - then pivot the snapshot back? (Then shutdown, attach the storage to another bootable OS, and run fdisk and resize2fs.)

Everything I've read says to shutdown the VM; but besides the real possibility of the snapshot blockcommit being corrupted when pivoted into the newly resized backing store, I don't see why it shouldn't work. And save some significant downtime.

Please can someone advise if this is actually possible, or if I'm wasting my time?

Thanks!

--
Jeff Brown
Future Foundation